Author Topic
Page: of 2

Sylvia Jacobus
62 Posts
Sylvia
Kent WA
USA

Posted - Mar 26 2018 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This batch made with the "Hot Cinnamon" tea was not what i expected. Somehow the taste mellowed and wasn't as strong as the first batch made with Irish Breakfast tea. No clue. One loaf in the freezer, the cut one down to one piece. Fantastic bread for breakfast.
It'll be fun to try the Irish version adding in some lemon zest, Irish tea and baking it round.
Such fun adventures ladies.

Bread is like the sun. It rises in the yeast and sets in the waist. Unknown author

Edited by - Sylvia Jacobus on Mar 26 2018 08:32:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Mar 26 2018 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, peach oolong does sound like it would add good flavor to the bread. I love reading about all of the tweaks to change up the flavors of the Bara Brith--it get my wheel turning. :) This bread does seem like one with endless possibilities, especially when you change up the flours too.

Sylvia, I've never heard of Barm Brack before but it sounds wonderful. I can just see a pretty bundt loaf of bread ready to be sliced. I'll need to add that to my list of recipes to try, it sounds like it would make a gorgeous loaf.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Nelle
21 Posts
Janelle
Millersburg Ohio
USA

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  07:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Beautiful bread! Makes my mouth water just to look at the pictures! I think this will have to be the next recipe I try! I love a quick bread my grandma used to make that she called “hobo bread” that had soaked raisins in it, and she baked it in tin cans. I also love to drink chai (Kenya style, no spices...just black tea, sweetened, with lots of milk and I add a splash of vanilla) and this sounds like it would be so good with it! Does it have a sourdough taste?

Never Been Unloved
Go to Top of Page

PaneCreatore
61 Posts
Janet
Iowa
USA

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  2:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't notice a sourdough taste with the Bara Brith Janelle.

"Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts." -James Beard
Go to Top of Page

Nelle
21 Posts
Janelle
Millersburg Ohio
USA

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  09:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok! Well, my first batch of Bara Brith is almost consumed! One of my girls thought it tastes like marmalade. I used all Prairie Gold wheat and I exchanged the currants for craisins, because I couldn’t seem to find currants at my grocery store. It is really tasty with butter and a bit of honey drizzled on it! This is recipe number three that I’ve tried so far from Wild Bread...
Oh, and I know the recipe says to bake it when it reaches the top of the pan, but I flirt with failure on that score. I like bread as high and light as possible and let this rise the full 3 hours. And you’re right, Janet, it doesn’t have a sour taste. It would make awesome French toast!

Never Been Unloved
Go to Top of Page

PaneCreatore
61 Posts
Janet
Iowa
USA

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  10:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely loaves of Bara Brith Janelle. I have had a few loaves that went above the pan too, but not from choice, but forgetfulness. All worked out. Looks like Janelle's Bakery is open for business. Thanks for sharing! Happy baking!

"Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts." -James Beard
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  11:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's a lot of Bara Brith. Janelle, your loaves look fantastic!

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Nelle
21 Posts
Janelle
Millersburg Ohio
USA

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  5:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Ummm...it was just two loaves of Bara Brith, the rest are just my usual basic sourdough bread. A recipe out of “The Vintage Remedies Guide to Bread” book.

Never Been Unloved
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: