Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

debramatson40
2 Posts
Debra
Kennewick WA
USA

Posted - May 16 2022 :  1:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! I am brand new, and I am still collecting my supplies to get started. We are a large family with a lot going on, and my kids take sandwiches to work and school currently with store bought yeast breads. What is the best way to make that transition? I am unsure of how to have no bread in the house while we are trying to learn this process. Can I start the Mother on another floor of the house? Is it okay to have a small amount of yeast bread around? I'm excited to get started, but as well as collecting my supplies, this is what is tripping me up to officially get started.
Thank for any tips and advice!
Debra

DJM

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - May 17 2022 :  07:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra, I'm excited for you to get started making breads from a mother! While you're working on getting your mother established, you can continue to use yeasted breads, just make sure they do not share the same immediate airspace as your mother. For example, you can keep your yeasted breads tucked away in a cabinet on the other side of the room from your mother.

The primary concern with yeasted breads and your mother is that while your mother is sitting on the counter fermenting and pulling wild yeasts into it from the surrounding air, it will pull in some of the not-so-wild-yeasts from conventionally yeasted breads that are stored too close to it.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

debramatson40
2 Posts
Debra
Kennewick WA
USA

Posted - May 19 2022 :  1:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that helps a lot! :)
Debra

DJM
Go to Top of Page