Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

505Queen
6 Posts
Renee
Albuquerque NM
USA

Posted - Feb 20 2022 :  11:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! I have baked a loaf using the Pullman pan and it has turned out rather nicely. However, I have a big concern. I know we all want to be as safe as possible but I also don't want to waste a loaf of bread unnecessarily. So, here's the situation. I made my dough yesterday. It's a young starter and it didn't rise quickly. I left it out overnight and baked it around 9:00 a.m. This recipe from Wild Bread contains buttermilk and egg yolks. Since I left it out around 70-73 degrees for 14-15 hours, could it be contaminated with salmonella or anything else? Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Renee Fox

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Feb 21 2022 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that if you don't feel comfortable eating the bread, you shouldn't. Some guidance I can offer is that, generally speaking, salmonella is killed off when the internal temperature of any food reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

The recipe calls for baking the Pullman loaf until the internal temperature reaches 200—205 degrees Fahrenheit. As long as your Pullman loaf hit this temperature, it's can be assumed that if any salmonella bacteria were present, they were killed off. Regarding other issues the bread might have after sitting out for this long, I think there is a decent chance that your bread would have a strong acidic/sour flavor after the dough sat out for this long.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

505Queen
6 Posts
Renee
Albuquerque NM
USA

Posted - Feb 24 2022 :  12:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashley! Thank you so much for the invaluable and quick response. I have been eating the bread and no issues. It is definitely sour but not too much so, at least for me. Thank you and take care
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley

I think that if you don't feel comfortable eating the bread, you shouldn't. Some guidance I can offer is that, generally speaking, salmonella is killed off when the internal temperature of any food reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

The recipe calls for baking the Pullman loaf until the internal temperature reaches 200—205 degrees Fahrenheit. As long as your Pullman loaf hit this temperature, it's can be assumed that if any salmonella bacteria were present, they were killed off. Regarding other issues the bread might have after sitting out for this long, I think there is a decent chance that your bread would have a strong acidic/sour flavor after the dough sat out for this long.

Renee Fox
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: