Welcome to WildBread.Networking
 Welcome Wagon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  1:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started my mother today I used dishes I have What problems am I setting myself up for I am also new to the internet please forgive my errors

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome to the Wild Bread chatroom! I'm so happy you stopped by and am excited to hear about your new mother. I think my best advice is to be patient and trust the process. Which type of flour are you using?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  12:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the flour is Sir Galahad Artisan Unbleached I usually buy in bulk and put in gallon freezer bags
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 29 2021 :  09:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked this flour up, and found a product label. Unfortunately, it has malted barley flour added, which has proved itself to be problematic in mothers. Flour quality is touched on on p. 26 in the Beginner Breads section and barley malt is mentioned specifically on p. 196 in the Let's Talk Flour section. It would be great if every flour worked, but with things like additives and variances in quality, our best bet was to recommend the flours that we tested extensively while creating recipes for Wild Bread.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2021 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou for the feedback the mother is watery not to bubbly i hope to go my bulk store to see what types of flour i can find the bowl i am using and a pie dish seem to fit nicely together the towel dries out so i have had to add water a couple of times this week we would like to try the bread to see if we like it before i invest to much money. we have not been eating much bread so i would hopefully be able to make something we like that makes us feel good
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 01 2021 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully you're able to track down a flour without added barley malt. Your pie dish and bowl combo sounds great. You don't have to buy the specific bowl and baking dish recommended in the book. As long as you have a bowl large enough to hold all the mother that accumulates after a week of feedings and pie dish it fits in, you're golden.

It's good to replenish the water in the pie dish a couple times a week, and also good to replace the towel at least once per week. You will likely start to notice a yellow or brown ring on your towel after a few days. This is normal, and is just a water mark from the towel drying out.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2021 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Wheat Montana Farms & bakery. Ingredients: Hard White Wheat Flour is the only thing listed non GMO all natural Hope this will work I love moving 50 pound bags off the shelves to read the nutrition labels The smaller bags didnt seem to have a good listing of the ingredients. will start again tomorrow!!
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2021 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can I store different types of flour in my plastic tote all are in plastic bags with basil leaves to keep moths out basil is just put in tote not in bags with flour
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 04 2021 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Wheat Montana flour will work. Shuffling 50 lb bags of flour on shelves to look at the ingredient statements in a store is a chore.

It is perfectly fine to use your plastic container to store different types of flours, long as you clean it between different flours.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your Wheat Montana mother!

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2021 :  05:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mother looks healthy!! amazing differences in flour I haven't looked in book to find answer so i'll ask. Do you scoop flour or use a spoon to fill measuring cup? will make a small difference in flour amount thank you for all your help Mary
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  09:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news! I scoop the flour. If it's compacted, I'll usually fluff it up with the measuring spoon before scooping.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  1:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i made the batter bread it was not very good. The batter did not raise very much, I think it needs more time to get stronger. The mother is back on the counter smelling a little sour. She is still bubbly. I,ll see what she does thne next bake day
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 12 2021 :  11:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this your first Bake Day with your new mother? If so, a ho-hum rise is not uncommon for the first couple weeks while your mother is still pulling in wild yeasts from the air. You should start to see more activity soon, but if by next Bake Day your mother doesn't seem really active, per the tip in the second-to-last paragraph on p. 28, you could try pancakes, waffles, or any of the recipes in the Quick & Easy Sourdough-Enhanced Treats section, beginning on p. 172.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2021 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the first bake day. I thought I should skip the bread but really wanted to taste it. I don't have patience to wait for Mother to get up to speed!
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 13 2021 :  09:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes baking bread on the first Bake Day works if your mother is really off to a good start, but more often than not, it takes a couple weeks. Finding patience can be a challenge, but once your mother is established, it truly pays off.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2021 :  5:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the book it talks about what not to keep close to mother. Is their anything that helps mother get more active ?
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  09:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people have kept bowls of fruit next to their mothers with success. If you do this, you'll need to be on the lookout for fruit flies. An easy way to give your mother a boost is to spend a just a little extra time stirring at each feeding. This will encourage more activity and wild yeast development.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

maryjay
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  6:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would a nylon wisk work ?
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  08:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nylon whisk would work instead of a spatula, as long as your mother isn't too think for it to move through. Whether you're using a spatula or a whisk, keep in mind that stirring doesn't need to be vigorous, just lifting the stirring tool vertically a few times and letting the mother drip off the tool back into the bowl when you stir will help aerate it.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: