Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Sylvia Jacobus
62 Posts
Sylvia
Kent WA
USA

Posted - Sep 24 2021 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've discovered that my kitchen is rarely warm enough to please my beautiful starter. I'm making my dough in the everning, putting it in a square 4 quart container and letting it go into the refrigerator overnight. My success rate is now 100%. I let the dough come up to room temp, do a bit of folding, shaping, baking and I have super breads. Matter of fact, today I'm doing a pumpkin, walnut, cranberry bread.

Bread is like the sun. It rises in the yeast and sets in the waist. Unknown author

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  10:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pumpkin, walnut, cranberry bread sounds delicious, and perfect to usher in these first days of fall. Since your mother doesn't seem to love the temperature in your kitchen, I'm glad you've found a work-around for your breads to rise with 100% success, and created a system that makes your breads rise in a predictable timeframe. By putting your breads in the refrigerator overnight, you slow down the proofing process enough that your breads don't come out over-proofed, but still rise reliably. How long does it usually take for your breads to come up to room temperature?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Sylvia Jacobus
62 Posts
Sylvia
Kent WA
USA

Posted - Oct 26 2021 :  11:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 3 hours under some lights. It has become a very easy to handle dough. Been real sad about postage rates for my favorite flour that comes from Montana. Super high. Locally I have Bob's Red Mill all purpose and bread flour. May try the bread flour to see what it's like. Have you tried it?
Have you considered measurements in grams?

Bread is like the sun. It rises in the yeast and sets in the waist. Unknown author
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Oct 27 2021 :  09:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shipping flour can be expensive since shipping rates are based on package weight, and present a pickle if you cannot source quality flours locally. I haven't tried Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose flour, but did look up the ingredients. I'd be leery of the conventional because it lists malted barley flour in the ingredients, which has proved to be a problematic ingredient. However, the organic version does not list malted barley flour in the ingredients. It's just organic hard red wheat. I'd opt for that one if it's available locally.

MaryJane and I have discussed volume versus weight measurements quite a bit, and the idea of accessibility always wins. I discuss our logic here: http://wildbread.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: