Author Topic  

Sister Theresa
9 Posts
Sister Theresa
Bellingham WA
USA

Posted - Sep 20 2020 :  12:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Was wondering if you have any more ideas about breads that would be with the quinoa batter and also vegan with no oil. So far I am kind of limited with what I can make in the book.

Thanks!

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 21 2020 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sister Theresa,

To better guide you/give recipe ideas or alternatives for oil, eggs, honey, and dairy, which types of breads are you hoping to make?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Sister Theresa
9 Posts
Sister Theresa
Bellingham WA
USA

Posted - Sep 21 2020 :  9:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping to be able to make rolls and a sandwich type loaf. Just some simple recipes that are versatile.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  09:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as a starting point, the roll recipe on p. 53 uses buttermilk and eggs. The buttermilk can easily be swapped out with nut milks, and the honey can be replaced with your vegan sweetener of choice, but the eggs are a tad trickier. You'll need something to bind the batter together, which is especially important since you're making gluten-free bread. For other baking recipes, do you have a preferred egg substitute? Initially, I'm thinking that the rice starch used in the rice breads might help hold everything together.

I think most recipes calling for eggs or milk can be adapted with the right ingredient substitutions. In many cases, oils are used to keep breads from sticking, so parchment paper or silicone mats can be used instead.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Sister Theresa
9 Posts
Sister Theresa
Bellingham WA
USA

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  3:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response. Although I am already quite familiar with different binders that are used to replace eggs in a recipe, I was hoping that you might be able to point me towards certain recipes that, in your experience, tend to be more successful using alternative ingredients.

Lots of Love,

Sister Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Sister Theresa
9 Posts
Sister Theresa
Bellingham WA
USA

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  3:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, which substitute has the most success with each bread - for example, maybe the rolls do best with flax, maybe the bread does best with applesauce.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 30 2020 :  09:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When creating recipes for Wild Bread, eggs were commonly used, and experimentation with different binders stopped after we discovered how well the rice starch performed in recipes. As much as I'd love to offer insight/suggestions here, given your experience with different binders, I think in this area, you are the best judge for choosing the right binder.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: