Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Gummy
12 Posts
Kathy
Plover Wisconsin
USA

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  08:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday was bake day, week 5. My mother is very much alive and bubbly with large and small bubbles covering the surface when i lift the towel to feed her. She smells wonderful, like beer. I fully expect to see a wonderful loaf of bread yet the bread only rises to an inch below the edge.

Am using a bread proofer and simple truth organic all purpose flour. I dont have photos but am wondering if there is something more i can do. My mother seems perfectly happy all week long yet doesn’t fully rise the bread.

Kathy

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kathy,

Bubbles of various sizes and a pleasant smell are both key to gauging your mother's development. Can I ask how long your breads are typically taking to rise to one inch below the edge of the pan?

I don't have any experience with Simple Truth organic AP flour. Have you used this flour before to make breads using conventional yeast?

Also, on the main chatroom page forum, there is a heading titled "Ashley's DON'T-do LIST". The are links to a few different pages addressing common questions. I think #1 might be helpful, since it discusses what to expect each week as your mother progresses: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/download/wild-bread/admonitions/admonition1.pdf

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Gummy
12 Posts
Kathy
Plover Wisconsin
USA

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying Ashley. It takes about 8 or 9 hours to get to one inch below. I have not used this organic flour before. With covid it was the easiest for me to obtain. On to reading #1 on the Dont do list
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  07:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, sourcing ingredients has been tricky the past few months. Sometimes flours have barley malt or other additives, which can cause problems for sourdough mothers. I'm not sure about the simple truth flour, but I did google it and it had a few reviews. It looks as though some have had success with this flour for breads, baked goods, and sourdough, while others disliked the flour. We do have the organic white-wheat flour that we used for all the white flour recipes in Wild Bread in stock. You can find it here: https://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/Specialty-Sourdough-Flour

8 or 9 hours is a little too long for a rise. How is the flavor of the breads? It seems silly, but sometimes just a little extra stirring at each feeding can help strengthen the wild yeasts in your mother. I'm certain that we can troubleshoot your mother. White flour is typically the quickest to ferment and create breads with great loft.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Gummy
12 Posts
Kathy
Plover Wisconsin
USA

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  6:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bread has a strong sour taste which I’ve read is from the long rise time? I do stir my mother quite a bit when I feed her, its fun to feed my mother so I play (stir) what seems like a lot but will happily stir more.

When I started with my 1/2 cup last week on bake day i switched flour to jovial einkorn organic flour. The mother continues to bubble with both big and small bubbles and has a nice smell. We’ll see what happens next Wednesday.

I am using room temp distilled water in the mother.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 12 2020 :  2:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the sour flavor is typically from it rising too long, or over-enthusiastic lacto-bacteria. Room temp distilledwater is ideal, and that little bit of extra stirring will help strengthen the yeasts. You don't need to stir for a long time, 45 to 90 seconds is all it should take. Since it's summer, I haven't thought to ask about your average room temperature. Is your mother kept in a warm place?

I'm curious how your breads will rise on the next Bake Day with Einkorn flour. Einkorn is a great flour to work with and should also ferment well.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Gummy
12 Posts
Kathy
Plover Wisconsin
USA

Posted - Sep 16 2020 :  6:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bake day was today. No rise to the flour. I put my mother to rest (in the trash) and am starting over. I will get this right!
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  09:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's a disappointment. Maybe a restart will set things right. Are you planning on continuing with Einkorn flour?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: