Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Breads
 2. Refrigerator Mother
 do I need to move on to a Refrigerator Mother??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Windy Meadows Farm
21 Posts
Mary
MOUNT VERNON Ohio
USA

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  8:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if I can continue to keep my Mother on the counter and feed twice daily? Not only is there something nurturing about this daily routine, but last week I was able to make two loves of bread using the Advanced recipes...which is really what I'd like to do

I don't want to ruin her though by not moving on to the refrigerator step!

Mary - Windy Meadows Farm

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jun 04 2020 :  10:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely! You can keep your mother on the counter indefinitely with twice daily feedings and it won't have any adverse effects on the health of your mother.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Jude50perkins
2 Posts
Judi
MO

Posted - Jun 08 2020 :  08:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...I can take frig mother and move her to my counter for awhile and feed her 2x day to get some extra mother built up again? Need to make more pancakes. Also, I can then use the built up mother amount for more batter breads, yes?
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can definitely take your Refrigerator Mother out and feed as a Counter Mother to build up the volume. Once you have baked all that you'd like to with the Counter Mother, you can transfer it back to the Refrigerator.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Jude50perkins
2 Posts
Judi
MO

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  2:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK! My best bread so far is Boule. My biggest problem is overdone, underdone, guess I need to invest in a better thermometer.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jun 09 2020 :  4:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good thermometer definitely helps. :) It doesn't need to be expensive, it just needs to read temperatures relatively quickly to limit the time your oven door is open letting heat escape.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Windy Meadows Farm
21 Posts
Mary
MOUNT VERNON Ohio
USA

Posted - Jun 11 2020 :  07:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley

Absolutely! You can keep your mother on the counter indefinitely with twice daily feedings and it won't have any adverse effects on the health of your mother.

Thanks so much for your quick replies! I made the Epi bread...so pretty, and now I'm off to make flatbread and Fougesse.

So from the comments I'm reading, it's okay (if I get overwhelmed with baking) to tuck her in the fridge, then I can move her back to the counter? How long does she sit on the counter until I can use her...another week?

last question...if I have lots of starter, can I bake two days in a row, or every couple of days, or does it need to sit a week to be ready?

Thanks again!

Edited by - Windy Meadows Farm on Jun 11 2020 09:16:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jun 11 2020 :  11:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I love Epi! Sounds like there is a lot of delicious breads coming out of your kitchen. Since your mother is fully developed and has enough rising power to make breads in the Advanced Section, you can move it back and forth between the fridge and counter as you like, as long as you maintain the appropriate feeding schedule wherever it is.

Unless you need a large volume of mother to make a bread from the Beginner Section, you don't necessarily need to wait a week before baking breads. Since your mother is developed enough to give rise to breads in the Advanced Section, and these breads don't require a large volume of mother, you really have a lot of versatility to bake as little or as much as you like. I hope this all makes sense.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Windy Meadows Farm
21 Posts
Mary
MOUNT VERNON Ohio
USA

Posted - Jun 11 2020 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley

Oh, I love Epi! Sounds like there is a lot of delicious breads coming out of your kitchen. Since your mother is fully developed and has enough rising power to make breads in the Advanced Section, you can move it back and forth between the fridge and counter as you like, as long as you maintain the appropriate feeding schedule wherever it is.

Unless you need a large volume of mother to make a bread from the Beginner Section, you don't necessarily need to wait a week before baking breads. Since your mother is developed enough to give rise to breads in the Advanced Section, and these breads don't require a large volume of mother, you really have a lot of versatility to bake as little or as much as you like. I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks again!

Oh my...the Fougasse was sooo good and we made pizza for lunch with the flatbread. I'm hooked!

Edited by - Windy Meadows Farm on Jun 11 2020 1:46:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: