Author Topic  

Sarah_Allen
2 Posts
Sarah
Atwater Ohio
USA

Posted - Nov 10 2019 :  6:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am new here and I've noticed several comments about not using flour with barley malt. As it turns out, the organic, unbleached white flour I chose has barley malt added. It did take my mother about 6 weeks to get established, but I just made my first sandwich loaf today and it came out just fine.

Should I consider switching to a different flour without barley malt or not worry about it if my mother is not adversely effected?

Also, I love the book and can't wait to try more of the recipes now that my mother is established.

Sarah

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Nov 10 2019 :  10:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah,

In our early trials, we really had difficulties getting flours with barley malt as an added ingredient to work reliably in mothers. As soon as we shied away from barley malt, we had much more success. It's great your mother is doing well and that you made your first sandwich loaf! Are you happy with the flavor and texture of your breads? Or have you noticed anything off about your mother, such as an overly alcoholic smell?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Sarah_Allen
2 Posts
Sarah
Atwater Ohio
USA

Posted - Nov 11 2019 :  3:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the response. So far I am happy with the flavor and texture of the breads. I don't think the mother smells overly alcoholic or off, it smells pleasantly sour. All the same, I think I will look to transition to a flour without barley malt once I have worked through what I have on hand.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: