Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

kleespires
1 Posts
Karen
LAKE VILLA IL
USA

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have read and read the book and thought I had figured the process out. My counter mother was doing well but...had 4 bake days with counter mother. The batter had bubbles and the batter bread raised (not super but it raised). But for the last 2 weeks it couldn't pass the test to become a refrigerator mother. I gave up today and baked a cake (VERY YUMMY). What could have been wrong?

Karen L Spires

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Feb 19 2019 :  08:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen, and welcome! Have you noticed the rise times for your Batter Breads becoming more consistent between Bake Days? If the loft is predictable/reliable, this is usually a sign that your mother has developed enough to convert. If you have a minute, check out the links under "Ashley's DON'T-do LIST" on the main page, particularly this one: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/download/wild-bread/admonitions/admonition1.pdf

Regarding testing your Counter Mother's readiness to convert to a counter mother, here is an excerpt from the link above:

Converting Your Counter Mother to a Refrigerator Mother
Once you have a handle on your Counter Mother and are thinking about moving on to the Advanced Section, there are a couple considerations to make. On p. 58, a readiness test is recommended before converting your Counter Mother to a Refrigerator Mother. This test offers a visual opportunity to see if your mother is able to double in volume. However, if your Counter Mother fails to double in volume during the readiness test but is reliably giving loft to Beginner Breads with good flavor, then it’s ready to convert to a Refrigerator Mother.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: