Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Beginner Breads
 2. Creating a Wild-Yeast Starter (Mother)
 Your mother may never get over your transgression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Cathy
5 Posts
Cathy
Vallejo CA
USA

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  4:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the part about keeping store bought yeast and store bought baked goods out of the house but I’m confused by the statement that the mother may never get over the transgression. What does that mean? She won’t give rise, will mold, go sour..?

I’m on week three and I’ve had store bought yeast (home brewing) in the kitchen. She smells fine, has medium size bubbles, etc. but I still don’t have lift to the bread. It tastes great (although dense) and the crust is amazing.

Thoughts?

Cathy

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  1:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cathy,
While developing recipes for Wild Bread, we were also developing recipes for the magazine, blogs, etc. During this time, we brought in some local bakery breads. All eight of the mothers we had on the counter became less active, and that Bake Day, our breads didn't rise nearly as much as they had in the past. We removed the bread from the immediate airspace, and the mothers bounced back. There was something about this interaction that negatively effected the mothers. Once the bread was removed, the problem went away, and we made it a point to keep breads far away from our counter mothers.

Due to this experience, the line in the book was meant to be a word of caution against your mother(s) and bakery breads sharing the same airspace.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: