Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

enlargent
6 Posts
Erin
Chatham Michigan
USA

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  10:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello - I'm making the advanced quinoa dutch oven bread for the first time and it is so dry and crumbly it doesn't seem right. The recipe says it will be dry but will moisten and come together during the conditioning period but after the first 30 minutes I have a hard time believing that.

Any advice? Thanks!

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  07:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gluten-free flours react with moisture differently than gluten flours. They seem to wick up moisture right away, and then as the dough sits, release it. This is most pronounced in rice flours, but also a factor when working with quinoa flour. If you flip to p. 69, there is a before and after conditioning picture. In the first picture, you can see how dry and crumbly the "dough" in the bowl looks. In the second picture, taken after conditioning and just before the loaves were shaped, you see a cohesive, hydrated bowl of dough. No water was added to the bowl to make this happen.

Did your quinoa dough end up coming together by the end of the 2 hour conditioning process?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

hedy
5 Posts
Hedy
south lake tahoe ca

Posted - Sep 16 2018 :  09:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning,
I've made the NY Times No Knead bread several times in the past but with regular ole packaged yeast. I was wondering if there is a recipe using my "Wild Bread" refrigerator Mother?
Thank You :)
Hedy
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: