Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Beginner Breads
 2. Creating a Wild-Yeast Starter (Mother)
 Same flour type but need to change brands
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  09:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aside from the thicker consistency, one of the things I've noticed about my oat-flour mother is that the volume is much less than other mothers. I have a Kamut mother going right next to my oat mother, and it looks close to double the volume of my oat mother. I don't know if this is because the Kamut bubbles more, if the oat flour adsorbs more water, or a combination of the two. I would definitely add water to the batter bread. This will help build a little more volume into it and help with the thicker consistency. The consistency of my mother is thick and without adding water, it seems the most flour I would want to add is a 3/4 cup without adding any extra water.

My oat-flour mother will be two weeks on Friday, and based on the activity I'm seeing on the surface, I don't think it's ready for batter breads. The waffles were so good though, that I wouldn't mind a batch of oat pancakes.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
22 Posts
Suzan
British Columbia
Canada

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news! It’s been almost 4 weeks and my oat Mother’s are finally heavily fermented and full of bubbles.
What a change in the last few days. Like night and day
Now to figure out how to bake with it as the taste is really good but as it’s a thicker starter it tend to come out very heavy and gummy sometimes. It could be that it wasn’t ready to bake with yet as I now have the fermentation needed.

The most interesting thing about the oat is that the breads I have experimented with and was going to throw out actually taste, and texture wise, are completely different breads the next day.

It was a a very amazing discovery. Most gluten free breads are not at their best the next day but this gets better the next day and lasts for another three. Four in total.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to bake with a thicker mother? I am new to baking with sourdough so I am keeping a journal and just trying all different sorts of combinations until I get it just right.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
22 Posts
Suzan
British Columbia
Canada

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  09:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply Ashley. I didn’t receive it until I posted just now.

I appreciate your advise and have not added water to my batter breads.

I should take a picture tonight of the fermentation that has just taken place. It is a beautiful thing! It has taken almost 4 weeks and mine looked exactly like the picture you posted.

It’s another bake day tomorrow so I will try the newly very active mothers and add a bit of water. I have added the 3/4 cup flour and the consistency seemed like I softened cream cheese but it must have been too dense.

I also started a new one in the proofer and it most defiantly like the consistent warmer temps.

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
22 Posts
Suzan
British Columbia
Canada

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  2:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Week four

This how thick and bubbling my oat mother was this morning. This is the one that really dramatically changed over the last few days.

I will see how it bakes up later today but so far it seems very thick. I added water to the batter as well as a small amount of flour.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  09:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you're Bake Day was a success, and it's great news that your oat mother finally became visibly active!

Sadly, I had to throw my oat-flour mother out. About 2 days before my Bake Day, it took on an odor. It smelled similar to infant diapers, which is interesting because it previously had a faint sour smell. I'm not sure what to do differently, maybe I'll play with the flour-to-water ratio as you have done. I think it has to be something to do with the flour, because I'm also keeping a Kamut mother, which was bubbling away right next to my oat-flour mother. I'm going to ruminate on this for a little while and maybe get back to it.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
22 Posts
Suzan
British Columbia
Canada

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  3:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that smell as I thought the exact same about all 4 of my oat Mother’s. Each one took on this smell the day before the huge fermentation happened.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn! If mine was just about to change and ferment, the timing was really poor, because it was pretty ripe on my Bake Day. Based on the smell, I thought it had gone bad. Maybe I'll try again soon.

How are all your mothers doing?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: